Brown Butter & Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes 3 dozen cookies
1 c. salted butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 t. vanilla
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 1/4 c. whole-wheat flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
2 c. milk chocolate chips
sea salt for sprinkling
1. Brown your butter by heating 1 stick of butter (1/2 c.) in a pan over medium-high until melted. (About 2-3 minutes.) Stir/swirl the pan constantly until the butter is dark golden brown and you can smell a nutty aroma. Pour it into a bowl and allow to cool completely.
2. Mix the other stick of butter with the brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Add the vanilla to the mixer.
4. Slowly add in the brown butter, then mix on medium speed for another 2 minutes.
5. Add the egg and egg yolk and mix.
6. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda to the butter mixture and mix on low until the flour is just incorporated.
7. Add chocolate chips and mix for a few seconds.
8. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, then cover and chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
9. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or use a silpat non-stick baking mat and place dough 2 inches apart.
10. Sprinkle each ball with some sea salt. (Don't use too much! :)
11. Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating the trays halfway through.
recipe adapted from here