week by week baby updates.

 
 week 4 // 6-2-15

How far along? 4 weeks.

How big is baby? The size of a poppy seed.

Total weight gain? 1 pound - but it was definitely the birthday cake & ice cream we had this week. :)

Maternity clothes? Nope. No bump yet!

Sleep? Falling asleep has never been easier. I'm so extremely tired these days and all I want to do is nap.

Best moment this week? Telling our families over Skype!

Food cravings? Pico de gallo, 24/7.

Food aversions? I don't really have any aversions - it's more a matter of finding something that sounds good enough to eat! Fortunately I haven't been nauseous at all (except for a moment or two) and I'm crossing my fingers that it stays that way.

Movement? None.

Belly button in or out? In.

Weird pregnancy things? I have to use the restroom every 30 minutes, even walking a block tires me out, and I'm having constant cramps.

------------------

week 5 // 6-9-15

How far along? 5 weeks.

How big is baby? The size of an appleseed.

Total weight gain? Back to my starting weight.

Maternity clothes? Nope.

Sleep? Sleep hasn't been so great this week...probably because we've been sleeping on an air mattress at the new apartment.

Best moment this week? Sleeping in on Saturday.

Food cravings? No cravings this week. However, I've been able to tolerate salad, grapes, peaches, Life cereal, Honey Bunches of Oats cereal, and Fruit Roll-Ups (of all the things..).

Food aversions? Everything. I've been so nauseous this week and funny enough, it started the morning of week 5. So far, mornings are the worst but it's bearable if I eat something small as soon as I wake up (usually a handful of dry cereal) and continue to eat something every two hours. Unfortunately, it hits again mid-afternoon and lasts all night. I haven't actually thrown up, but I can't even count the number of times I've told Ben this week that I was on the verge of throwing up. Fun times. :)

Movement? None.

Belly button in or out? In.

Weird pregnancy things? I've started waking up at 4:30 each morning to go to the bathroom. I'm still having lots of painful cramps.

------------------

weeks 6 - 11

(Preface: this is a bunch of whining.) 

I feel like I completely checked out from life for a month and a half. I'd wake up each day nauseous, throw up while getting ready, head to work and throw up there, and then come home 8 hours later just to sleep to avoid feeling nauseous. Nothing ever sounded good, and I'm pretty sure I survived off of refried beans with a little cheese melted on top, handfuls of dry cereal, and grapes. During those 6 weeks I became a recluse and only left the house when I had to. (One evening I felt good enough to go to book club and those moments of feeling normal/being around people definitely got me through the next few days.)

Originally, I had wanted to wait to tell people that I was pregnant until I was 12 or so weeks along, but some of my co-workers picked up on it at the start of week 6. You just can't hide being sick from a group of nurses. :)

From all of this, I learned an absolute truth: women who experience nausea and throwing up their whole pregnancy are amazing. I don't know how they do it, and I have a whole new respect for them!

------------------

week 12 // 7-28-15
 
How far along? 12 weeks.

How big is baby? The size of a lime!

Total weight gain? With weight loss from throwing up/nausea and weight gain from baby (!), I'm about 5 pounds less than what I started at.

Maternity clothes? I ordered some dresses online this past week because of a fabulous sale going on, but I'm wearing my regular clothes for now. I'm in that pudgy-around-the-middle stage and I'm only wearing pants that I can fasten with a hair tie/rubber band, but I prefer to wear my scrubs to work or a casual, stretchy skirt. 

Sleep? Between a busy vacation and having family in town, I haven't been able to get as much sleep as I'd like, but I'm sleeping well when possible!

Best moment this week? Going to my 12 week ultrasound and watching the baby move around. Baby likes to keep his/her hands up by their face.

Food cravings? None. This week I'm tolerating Taco Bell bean & cheese burritos, apple slices dipped in peanut butter, Slim Fast chocolate drinks (has protein!), and dry cereal. I can usually keep down fruit or anything plain like bread, rice, potatoes, or soup. 

Food aversions? Meat, meat, meat. Veggies don't sound the least bit appealing, including salad which was a craving the first few weeks.

Movement? None that I can feel, but baby was quite active during the ultrasound.

Belly button in or out? In.

Weird pregnancy things? Nothing weird, just some throwing up. :) Poor Ben had to endure it during our 50+ hours in the car this past week...

(Compared to the last few weeks, I've felt SO much better this week! Which was such a blessing considering the long drive from St. Louis to Idaho/Utah and back. So, so grateful.)

------------------

week 13 // 8-4-15

How far along? 13 weeks.

How big is baby? The size of a peach!

Total weight gain? No weight gain this week.

Maternity clothes? Yes, but mostly no. I've been wearing scrubs to work since normal clothes--yes, sadly, even stretchy skirts--put too much pressure around my middle (makes me nauseous) or pants don't button. For church I pulled out one of the maternity maxi dresses I ordered since it was loose and flowy. (Must find more flowy clothing ASAP.)

Sleep? I'm sleeping well and enjoying my 8-9 hours each night. (Still waking up most days at 4:30 to use the restroom, but I'm able to fall back asleep within seconds.)

Best moment this week? All the exclamation points...!!!!!!!!!!!! Discovering something that actually works for morning sickness. More to come on this, I promise. Oh, and finally telling everyone (read: social media) why I've been grumpy and frumpy for the last few months.

Food cravings? Cheesecake sounded good at one point for about 30 seconds, but taco salad with lots of tomatoes and beans has sounded good for a few days now. 

Food aversions? Meat. Chicken especially! Barf.

Movement? None.

Belly button in or out? In.

Weird pregnancy things? Nothing much. It's been a pretty calm week and throwing up has become an every few days kind of thing since finding something that helps with nausea!

5 comments

  1. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH AND ALSO I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Glad you found something that works for morning sickness!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! I couldnt stomach chicken during both of my pregnancies - yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beyond adorable. Also, how fun that you are tracking progress this way. And hopefully you'll just get to feeling better and better. Can't wait to meet baby A!

    ReplyDelete