26 books challenge: (#2) a book that was made into a movie & (#3) a book you pick solely because of the cover.


Book #2: A book that was made into a movie.
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. 

World War II books are a favorite of mine so when I'm able to find a book with a perspective I haven't read before, I'm hooked. Corrie ten Boom, a Dutch woman then in her 50's, is thrown into prison and later concentration camps for hiding Jews in her house as well as working with the underground organization to place more than 100 Jews in other homes/on farms. Since I haven't read many stories of older women who were placed in concentration camps, much less stories of those who were devout Christians and spread their beliefs to others suffering in the camps, I was rather interested in her experiences.

My favorite person in the book was Betsie- Corrie's older sister who was also arrested and later died in one of the concentration camps. Betsie was so full of faith that everything would work out, showed love toward all- even the guards who made their lives miserable, and stood firm in her convictions. I couldn't help but constantly wonder "Would I have been strong enough to react the same way?"

I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a thought-provoking book to read. 


Book #3: A book you pick solely because of the cover.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I gave it 2 out of 5 stars.

I. . .I'm at a loss for words here. I truly don't understand the hype about the book. Sadly, I just couldn't get into the story, I thought it was poorly written overall, and certain situations in the book just didn't make sense. I did, however, like how the author takes the reader through Charlie's struggles, and how the reader is able to pick up on small details that allude to the surprise ending.


currently reading. . . 

Book #4: A book your friend loves.
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood 
(Thanks to Miranda for the recommendation!)

Post a Comment